Saturday, February 5, 2011

Navarin of Osso Bucco - Just the Recipe



I am introducing a new feature on my blog called Just the Recipe where I’ll post, from time to time, a recipe that I’ve made. I won’t write anything about it, I’ll let the photos do all the talking. It will provide for me a log of what I’ve been cooking and a forum for you for comments. Who knows, you might find just the recipe you’re looking for.

Navarin of Osso Bucco

1 sprig thyme
3 sprigs parsley
1 sprig basil leaves
3 bay leaves
2-2 inch strips lemon peel
6 – 5 oz osso bucco
all-purpose flour for dredging
salt and pepper to taste
½ cup vegetable oil
1 large onion
1½ tbsp. all-purpose flour
1½ cups dry white wine
3 cups beef stock
2 cups canned Roma tomatoes with juice, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced


Prepare the bouquet garni: tie together thyme, parsley, basil and bay leaves with strips of lemon peel.

In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat oil. Dredge osso bucco in flour, salt and pepper. Brown osso bucco in hot oil on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.

Skim oil from skillet, leaving 1 tbsp. oil. Lightly sauté onion. Add flour and cook for a few minutes.

Add wine, stock, tomatoes, bouquet garni and garlic. Bring to a boil. Submerge osso bucco in skillet. I transferred the mixture into a large roasting pan to finish off in the oven.

Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until very tender. From time to time baste the meat to keep moist. This can be done on the stove top or in a 350 F. oven. Remove meat to serving platter and keep hot. Skim off fat and reduce the liquid to intensify flavours.

Serve with small penne rigatte or any small pasta of choice flavoured with garlic infused olive oil, or polenta.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Mmmmmmmm, this makes my mouth water!

doughadear said...

Sandra,
This dish makes you feel all nice and warm inside.